SWISS BENEVOLENT SOCIETY OF CHICAGO CULTURAL GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
Friends of the Swiss Benevolent Society,
As you know, our organization was founded in 1872, in large part responsive to the great Chicago Fire and the desire of local Swiss to assist those of Swiss heritage in recovering from the conflagration. In the many years since its founding, our Society has, thankfully, continued in its benevolence mission and also expanded its charter to include 1) substantial support of education, in the form of language immersion and merit scholarships and 2) in the area of sponsoring cultural events which enhance appreciation of Swiss culture in all its forms.
In the field of cultural matters, in particular, many of you have been beneficiaries of grants from the Society to support such events or been fortunate enough to have attended and benefited from their presentation. In an effort to maintain the high quality of the cultural endeavors which we have supported, to assure that those programs are particularly focused upon the presentation and enhancement of Swiss culture and to assure that the opportunities for such cultural support are available to the public at large on an open and fully accessible basis, the Society has decided to undertake a number of modifications in its grant application process.
Henceforth, consistent with the Society's budget year and process, applications for cultural grants for a given year should be received by the Society by November 1 of the prior year. In the event that the Society's annual planned culture budget is not fully accounted for by the November 1 applications, a second application deadline of April 1 of the succeeding year will be available to accept applications for any remaining funds available for the budget year.
In the past, the application process has been very informal and this will not change substantially. Applications may be received in letter form on letterhead of the organization making the request and should contain the following information:
- A brief explanation presenting the purpose of the request and the dollar amount that is requested;
- An explanation of the nature of the proposed event ( i.e. a concert, theatrical presentation, art exhibit or the like);
- A line-itemed budget for the event;
- An explanation of how the Society's logo and other identifying information will be used to reflect the Society's participation in the event;
- The planned date(s) of the event(s) proposed;
- An explanation as to how the organization's proposed event particularly enhances appreciation or support of Swiss culture;
- The contact person's name, title, telephone number, e-mail address and fax contact information.
- Where the funds should be sent.
- A post-grant report will be required.
Applications received by November 1 will be acted upon by the Board in its November meeting and those whose grants are approved will be notified by the end of November.
We are grateful for the many opportunities that the Society has had over the years to present first rate Swiss-related cultural events and, in many cases, to co-sponsor those with many of you. We are also mindful of possible grantees and opportunities that have, perhaps, not come to our attention in the past. Accordingly, this statement regarding our application process is also being posted on the Society's web site. We thank you all for your great support of the Society's cultural programming goals in the past and very much look forward to continuing to do all that we can jointly do to present Swiss culture to our community at large.