SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS FOR ONE-WEEK LANGUAGE IMMERSION IN SUMMER 2019
GET TO KNOW A FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
The Swiss Benevolent Society of Chicago is sponsoring scholarship awards for a one-week summer language immersion experience in French, German, or Italian at the Concordia Language Villages in northern Minnesota in the Summer of 2019.
ONE-WEEK YOUTH EXPLORATION: a program for children between 7 and 18 years of age. Students may use the scholarship to explore a new language or use the opportunity to continue working on their language skills in a language they have been studying.
The mission of the Concordia Language Villages is to prepare young people for responsible citizenship in a global community. Because language education alone does not lead to the formation of world citizens, language and culture is taught in global contexts. Geography, history, political science and international relations are drawn on, creating learning situations that challenge participants to use language as a tool for understanding the complexities of the world around them. There are several locations: Waldsee offers an in-depth living experience in German-speaking cultures; Lac du Bois offers an in-depth living experience in French-speaking cultures; and at Lago del Bosco students can experience la dolce vita of Italy.
- Any student residing in Illinois, Wisconsin or Indiana can apply.
- Applications are available below.
- Application deadline: March 30, 2019
- Winners will be selected from the pool of applicants through a random drawing. Winners will be notified by April 15, 2019.
- Awards are for tuition only. Winners are responsible for travel costs.
- Students and their parents may combine this scholarship with personal funds to finance a two-week language immersion.
Completed forms and all other materials must be postmarked no later than March 30, 2019. Winners will be notified by April 15, 2019. The decisions of the SBS Education Committee are final.
APPLICATION FORMS (in pdf format)here.